From the medieval wetland up to the Art-Nouveau-Entertainment-place. The unusual history of our Hostel isn't only long, it's also more than interesting.

photography taken in 1933
photography taken in 1933
draft from 1888
draft from 1888
advertisement 1913
advertisement 1913
advertisement 1894
advertisement 1894

The first historical notes to our house in Walkmühlstraße 13 have gone back to the year 1376. Because Dutch and Flemish immigrants did their best already at that time to turn the very marshy area dry.

Large floods flushed the place again and again. The basic mud interspersed with a great deal of rotten material what was covered with a close layer of green slime of sweet water weed, which phosphoresced in warm evenings completely strange, flickers and caused by light winds real will-o´-the-wisps appeared and scared the citicens.

Only the marshes of southern Russia, the homeland of the Cholera offers a similar feature. The German Association for Public Health Care set on the agenda: The glowing Marsh in the roads of Erfurt... The last downpours filled our swamp areas on the dirty triangle at the theatre barn again quite prettily ". Today - more than 120 years later - no more living person can remember that.

The property was acquired first 1796 by A.M. Vogel and was cultivated starting from 1824 by George Vogel, his son. For the time being there was a nearby and far well-known entertainment restaurant - "Vogels Garden". In 1831 the bartender Christian Werner built exactly here a house with a Pub, which 1858 was sold to the innkeeper Franz Poppe. That one passed it later on to the restaurant operator Johann Gottlieb Otto Helling.

Under his influence the building went 1879 into the property of the Concert & Theatre Association and received from urban supply the first drinking water connection. Thus the foundation-stone was laid to convert the house with the theatre restaurant into a "winterproof elegant restaurant" in 1884.

By intercession of Privy Councillor Lucius the town council obtained permission for building the new club restaurant four floors high on 24 September 1888 and thus the Concert & Theatre Association could already move into it again with 29 June 1889.

Only in the year 1900 the Building Department permitted the lateral extension of a hall "to the elevation of the tourism in this city". Eleven years later the Hotelier Alexander Rohr announced in the local press the acquisition of the house and afterwards let carry out immediately structural corrections to make it "the most modern requirements become fair" by the architect Hermann Peter.

The "Hotel Rohr" as a family business was led finally by Mrs. Charlotte Rohr until 1984, when she died.

In the meantime the Culture Federation already had established the "Club of Intelligence" in the house and the theatre moved in then with its administration offices at the highest floor. In the ground floor a popular Bar for actors was established. Later the converted restaurant was renamed after the partner city "Lowetsch" and as this it is known by many citizens of Erfurt still today.

The tactics of the GDR politics regarding the "away-from-private-property" succeeded and after the death of the owner her children waived on the insolvent inheritance. Because of rent-limit-regulations prevented any economically efficiency of real estates this way the house fell into the hands of the state.

Directly after the Berlin Wall came down the heirs applied an inheriting request for their property they once were forced to give up under economic obligation and it took 13 years full of bureaucracy, until ground and house could be returned.

Finally it came in 2003 to the free sale of the house to the today's owner. Slowly and gradually began approximately at the same time the growing and ripening of the idea to turn the former hotel and listed monument again into a lodge for travellers and visitors. However - real planning and nearly simultaneous conversion of the "OPERA Hostel" just began in January 2006 and our house was to be opened after only five months time by May 2006.

In July 2012 on the ground floor a new, outstanding Restaurant opened. The Steakhouse Texas offers relaxation, taste and style - open daily.

Welcome to our house!

Bild Vorhang
Bild Vorhang